Today, Liberal Members of Parliament chose to follow the Prime Minister’s weak leadership and continue to deny Canadians the answers they deserve regarding the Trudeau government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Liberal Members of Parliament voted against a reasonable Conservative Opposition Day motion which instructs the Standing Committee on Health to undertake a study focused on:
- Rapid and at home testing approvals and procurement processes to reduce our waiting lines,
- Vaccine development and protocol for its distribution,
- A review of federal public health guidelines and data being used to inform government decisions,
- A review of long-term care facility COVID-19 protocols under federal jurisdiction,
- The availability of PPE in Canada and a review of Canada’s emergency PPE stockpile from 2015 to today,
- The impact of this government’s use of WHO advice to delay closing borders and delay recommending the wearing of masks,
- And, importantly, the reasons why and the eventual impact of closing Canada’s early warning system, the GPHIN.
The Hon. Erin O’Toole, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and of the Official Opposition, released the following statement:
“Conservatives are working hard to get the answers Canadians deserve and we are getting results. Despite the Liberals’ efforts, our motion to discover the truth about the government’s pandemic preparedness and response passed with all Opposition parties’ support. As a result of our efforts, the government will hopefully learn from its mistakes and be better prepared for the future.
“Trudeau’s Health Minister told media last week that the revised timeframe in our motion was reasonable and that the government could meet it, so Liberal MPs should have had no problem supporting our motion.
“When Canadians are getting rapid tests shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Canada’s place in the vaccine queue shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Improving our pandemic response shouldn’t be a partisan issue. It’s shameful that the Liberals keep trying to make them one.
“It’s becoming increasingly clear that Justin Trudeau wants an election and is willing to go to any lengths to get one, even if that means forcing Canadians to go to the polls in the middle of a pandemic. His arrogance and entitlement will needlessly put the health and safety of Canadians at risk.
“Canadians deserve to know how their government is managing a health crisis and they deserve a plan for the future. Conservatives will not stop until we have the answers you deserve.”